Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Remember to Remember







I am obsessed with Christmas. Everyday that passes, is one day closer to my pre- discussed decorating date ( as decided by my Husband and reluctantly I) November 25th. IF it were up to me I would be already in the thick of it! When that day comes look out "deck the halls", more like splatter every nook, cranny and corner with sparkly, glittery shiny, okay some say gawdy,Christmas goodness. I cannot wait.



But..before I get into the Christmas swing of things there is something more on my mind and it is Remembrance day.



Two years ago my husband and I went on our honeymoon to France , it was a wonderful trip but didn't warrant it complete without a trip up to Normandy to see the beaches. We sadly didn't make it to Juno beach but we did see Omaha Beach and the U.S memorial.



The bunkers felt like you were transported back in time, everything about it was eerie the dull smell, the chill in the air, the graphic images flashing in your mind. We visited on a sunny warm beautiful day, people were sunning themselves on the beach eating ice cream which was such an opposing juxtaposition to the utter mayhem that took place not even 70 years before.



There really are no words when you look over the sea of graves. I was unsettled for days after. What these young men and women did for us will never be rendered,we can't bring them back. Their bravery courage never duplicated. On days like tomorrow all I do is remember to remember.








No comments:

Post a Comment